Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Let's get transformed


     The number one  person in my life is celebrating his 6th birthday. For that I went all out, firstly because he deserve it. Secondly, it's his first big birthday bash with his friends coming over to celebrate.

the fight between optimus prime and megatron
     Since my son is a big fan of transformers, most especially bumblebee, we had an all out transformers birthday party. But before it all got finalized, I was worried that he'll change his mind which was for nothing since he's very single-minded and will ask for a good rational explanation when you want to change his mind. With his mind made up, we started planning the food, the decorations and the cake. Yes he got a say on everything that will happen to his party, it is his party after all.

the celebrant enjoying his cupcakes

    Two months before the date of the celebration, I made a sketch of a three-tiered cake that he refused to have for his birthday. He flat out refuse telling me that he just wants a small cake and a lot of cupcakes. That comment made me stare at him for a couple of seconds in disbelief. I mean, really? A six year old refusing a big cake for his birthday with all the transformers character included in it. He told me his specifications, cupcakes with transformers on top and a small cake with bumbleebee, optimus prime and megatron. We debated, argued, disagreed and he won -  it is his birthday after all. After which I went searching the internet for cupcake toppers and toppers for the cake (my mom and I went to a lot of trouble to get those three in the same sizes, especially bumblebee). I got inspired with the idea of having a cupcake stand and decided to make a small cake to put on top. I showed it to him and this is what he said "I knew you will understand what I want mommy, thank you!"

   As much as I wanted to do more for the cake, I wasn't been able to. For one thing, he just wants it plain blue, for the other, this is summer, a 90 degree weather that is very humid as well. I actually ended up making the cupcakes and the cake at my friend's house Vee, since hers is more roomy and cooler. She helped me mix, frost and decorate the cake - she actually was one of the greatest helper of all, running around for errands to help make my son's birthday a success (I love her so much for it). It ended up to be such a funny moment for us both as we frost the cupcakes in her dining room while our kids and her hubby played in the living room. It was very challenging for both of us to make the frosting stay on top of the cupcake because of the temperature. It keeps on sliding down, and for her, it was frustrating and she was hysterical. Apologetic to the extreme that it's not looking as good as those I make. I was laughing the whole time telling her to stop worrying too much. She got so worried that she went all out and bought an ice cream cake (the car) as well. It was such a good feeling how much she wanted the cupcakes to look great for my son's birthday. In the end, we had a good laugh about all of this because it might not look perfect but it still ended up looking good and inviting.

   All in all, the kids had so much fun (which is the most important thing of all), the adults got full and satisfied, and the celebrant gave me the biggest kiss possible before bedtime as a thank you.

blow your candles big boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics