Monday, April 23, 2012

Eating Days

   During my aunt's stay at our place we went around the Manhattan and the Bronx for some strolling, food and discovery. But mostly just to get out of the house and enjoy the pleasant weather we are experiencing during that week.

The first place for our itinerary was at Arthur Avenue to explore the Little Italy of the Bronx - something we, who live in the Bronx haven't heard of till she told us about it. When we arrived, we decided to eat first before we start strolling around the area for goodies. We decided trying out Umberto's Clam House. Inside the restaurant, it is stage to either make you feel like you're inside the ship with one side of its walls covered in wooden planks, the opposite side decorated with a helm, miniature ship, lamps, portholes and pulleys - not to mention some fake olive, tomato and round mozzarella kebabs hanging on the wall as well. The service was good except there are tendencies when the server forgets some of our request. As for the food, it was surprisingly tasty. My son loved the pizza and we all loved what we order, a place we'll go back to again.

    After our lunch, we strolled, check stores and went to have dessert in a stall inside their market place (it looks a lot like that of Philadelphia's). We bought a small slice of red velvet cake, tiramisu and eclairs plus a small size of ice cream for my aunt. Of course my mom and I ordered a caramel macchiato for her and a plain macchiato for me.
 
   In the end, we went home with fresh tuna and fresh swordfish (both cooked and served the that night as posted on my previous entry), two chunks of different cheese, steak, beef with prosciutto pinwheel, a pound of ground espresso and a couple of other vegetables and non-edible merchandise - we definitely enjoyed it.






  A few days after, off we went to Union Square, NYC to roam the Union Square park for the farmer's market. But first, a stop at Max Brenner's for brunch. Ordered a lazy breakfast for my aunt, two guilt free omelet for me and my mom, and oven roasted tomato pizza for the little prince. The food was satisfying - having brunch at close to 11 am with no breakfast or whatsoever earlier. It wasn't bad but I can't say it's superb either. The highlight of our orders was my son's frozen hot chocolate.  Mostly, I was just loving their presentation, we especially love the cup for the frozen hot chocolate and the teapot diffuser. We were too stuffed to even realize that we were gallivanting around the southern part of the city most of the day not looking for another place to eat at. Believe it or not we didn't feel like eating dinner when we got home - of course, my son is the exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics