Friday, March 30, 2012

Kids Night Out

   I previously posted about my at home night out version with my friends. This time, it's my son's at-a-friend's home night out. My friend and my son's bff's parents invited us over for dinner at their place (a long overdue hangout day both for us parents and for our kids) the next night after the night out version I had at home with my coworkers. It was to catch up between the moms and a playdate between the kids. The kids were having so much fun together playing with swords and shields while beating up the only other guy in the house, my son's bestfriend's father. With them running around, we didn't have time minding the wait for the food to get cooked. It was a night to relax and enjoy each other's company.

    But before we went to their house, I made the cake balls and the coating that I will bring as dessert, while the cake and cupcakes I saved up from last night for my friend waits in the fridge. I thought the cake balls would end up as a disaster because I did everything in a rush as I wanted to get to their house early add my son asking me over and over what time we're going. I didn't use frosting that will serve as the "glue" that will keep the cake together because I was going to use a very sweet coating. Instead, I opted for heavy cream wherein I added a few tablespoons of maple syrup and a teaspoon of softened butter and whipped it all together. I folded this mixture in the crumbled cake that I chilled earlier, after which I scooped it with a cookie scoop and rolled them into a ball one by one. It was the wait of the balls chilling in the freezer so as it won't separate when I dipped it on the white chocolate cream cheese coating that used up most of my time. This coating can be made as a frosting if you make a thicker version, but to use as a coating, I made mine runny. I also omitted the sugar the recipe calls for since I used white chocolate. She wasn't been able to eat them that same night but she left a comment yesterday on my facebook page that said "Your cake balls are little morsels from heaven!!! Yummmm lol"


   Our dinner consisted of roasted pork with rice and beans, and steamed cauliflower courtesy of our chef Big A (his son's name is the same as his so I call him Little A). Dessert for the kids were icepops while mom was with me in the dining room devouring my contribution, the cake I saved for her from last night and the vanilla cake balls (as my son calls it). It was a night of good food and good company consisted of discussion about the happenings in our lives, recipes, foods, school, homework, the kids and memory lane. Much of the talking and recipe browsing happened after dinner while our kids were dancing while watching Justin Bieber's concert on dvd (gah!). We were enjoying each other that we didn't realize that it was almost 9 pm - and on a school night at that.
  

The kids taking a break with their dessert.

2 comments:

  1. They were morsels from heaven!!! I was sooo sad when I ate the last one...lol
    Definitely a great night, we shouldn't wait so long for the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! so seriously come by for dinner Monday and I'll make you some shrimp scampi especially for you :)

      Delete

Web Analytics