Thursday, March 8, 2012

The couscous and the chicken

    It was 10:30 am (around that time), Latiyfa and I went to b-cafe (a small cafe inside Bloomingdale's) ordering my usual coffee and bagel with butter. As we sat and chat to catch up about the ongoings in our lives, Mohammed approached us to give us his usual morning greeting and of course, chat. Aside from the usual banters we share every morning, he offered us his lunch (not to worry, he gets free lunch from somewhere else). It was his homemade beef stew with couscous.
     A delicious blend of beef and spices with couscous and vegetables. The smell was divine, you can smell, thyme, chili, tomatoes and garlic. My mouth started to water no matter that I just finished my bagel. Tiyfa and I divided the food in half, it was so good even though it was spicy (spicy enough that I started to perspire and both our lips where turning red). As we ate, he sat at the table beside us and randomly tell stories and ask questions. I was just listening halfheartedly since I'm busy trying to discover what's in my food. As I started to figure out what some of the ingredients are, I asked Mohammed how to make one, the other ingredients he included and whatnot. He told me how he cooked it the way you make beef stew then add the couscous last.
    He laughed afterwards and guessed that I'm about to try it at home for dinner, I nod enthusiastically with food in my mouth. When we have everything emptied we said our thanks and goodbyes. The walk back to our respective departments was with more talking and some stopovers - with a bit of giggling about how the spicy food help Tiyfa with her colds. After that, all that I can think of was to go to the supermarket and get some couscous.


    When my shift was over, I went straight to the store and bought the couscous (I'm so excited!) and a few other stuff. I rested a bit (I've been standing all day here) then went straight to the kitchen to prep up all the ingredients. The version I made is with chicken and not too much spice, just a touch so my son can eat it as well. I cook just enough for the four of us with an extra for breakfast and to take to work. I was surprise that I ended up bringing a very small leftover from last night. Guess it was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics