Thursday, March 1, 2012

Soup for the Soul

   My beloved son who's been ill for a week  due to an eye infection famously known as pink eye and a fever made a request one day. He asked me to cook for him one of his favorite soup which I call "molo ala daisy's" in honor of my aunt - since i got this from her.

   I can't really remember when was the first time I've ever tasted and eaten this soup. But I will never forget how it taste like and how she will ask me to help her once in a while. She will ask me to remove the meat of the boiled chicken from the bone, wrap the filling into the wonton wrappers. But to be honest, I never really liked helping her with this particular recipe when I was a kid (who prefers to sit in front of a bunch of ingredients, picking on the chicken and such while your friends are playing outside?). Even with this feeling, I'll end up being chastised by her because while I separate the meat of the boiled chicken from its bones, the meat mostly ended up on my mouth. I remember her line "Stop eating the chicken! What am I going to use later?" So of course I will stop and continue my work but once her back is turned I'll start stuffing my mouth again little by little - no worries, there will be a lot left.

   This soup is made with homemade chicken stock, sliced carrots, sliced scallions and some homemade wontons. The homemade wontons are what makes the difference. It got shrimp, ground pork/chicken, garlic, onions and my own twist - shiitake mushrooms and oyster sauce. All these ingredients combined in a bowl and wrapped in wonton wrappers. The result? a warm, filling, healthy soup with vegetables, meat and homemade stock.



    When I cooked it for my son this time, I added a teaspoon of shredded ginger to the soup. Ginger having medicinal properties for his cold and fever that accompanied his pink eye (yeah my poor baby suffering that whole week). But even with his illness, he still asked me if he can help, I gladly allowed him to do so. He "painted" water on the wrappers using a silicone brush to help the wrapper stick and keep the feeling enclosed. Cooking with him that time, while we both go running back and forth to the living room to catch up with the movie "Dante's Peak" was such fun.The best part of it all? was how happy he was when I started serving him the soup and how he asked for it again during dinner the next night. A few days after, he felt better and back to his usually energetic self (whew!).
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics