Friday, February 17, 2012

Sweet Moments

Even as a kid I have loved sweets of all kinds, whether it will be candies, chocolates (hmm, especially chocolates), cakes, pastries and even just eating plain sugar. Yes, unhealthy as it is, I really had a habit of eating (sneaking a spoonful of it) sugar from the canister, up until now.
I remember my grandmother buying Filipino delicacies from a vendor who makes her rounds every morning around our neighborhood in the Philippines. She’ll buy puto (muffin like bread which uses rice flour), sapin-sapin (a very sticky, gooey and sweet Filipino dessert) among other things. These she buys every morning which will then be our breakfast – a sweet way to start your day. But sometimes, when she can ask one of the kids playing in the street early in the morning, she’ll have them go to a local bakeshop and buy bread with them taking home a piece and a peso. She’ll have them buy a variety of breads that I love gnawing on like a hungry dog. But what I really liked the most was her buying pandesal (dinner rolls- but somehow more tasty) – the smell of freshly baked pandesal. Anyway, she’ll have soft butter mixed in with sugar; have the bread cut in half take a spoonful of the spread to be put on the bread – yummy! Hmmm, just remembering that makes me want to go buy dinner rolls and warm it in the oven and do the same thing.
That I think is how I started loving sweets, the proof of my love for it is how much I lose a lot of my tooth when I was a kid. Up until now I’ll be sneaking in the kitchen with a piece of chocolate or something sweet and eat it, I guess old habits die hard.
So I guess making a collection of sweet goods that I managed to make is just appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics